Stable Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly place to come and chat about your favourite four legged friends!

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hay or haylage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
horsenutter

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 3:03 pm

What do you feed your horse and do you put it in a net or manger or on the floor. I feed haylage and mine prefer it off the floor.
Back to top Go down
Debs
Admin

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2006-11-01

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 3:48 pm

I don't have my own horse at the moment but i always fed mine hay!
And i did use haynets sometimes but this would depend really on the horses preferences!

Why do you choose to feed haylage?
I'm just curious cos its something i have never personally used!
Back to top Go down
https://stabletalk.forumotion.com
samtaylor

samtaylor

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2006-11-05

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2006 7:29 am

We feed my friends horses hay, but we soak it because they have been coughing since coming in this winter, so were trying to lessen the dust.
They all have hay in a manger in the stable at night and during the day, we put a bit on the floor under the trees in the field for them.
Last year we tried are old man, Bobby, on haylage to see if it helped to keep any more weight on him and to see if it was less dusty and helped his cough. It didnt help his coughing and it didnt help keep any more weight on him, but he did seem to like the taste of it more than his hay.
Were back on hay for all of them now as hay is that bit cheaper than haylage.
Sam
Back to top Go down
jo

Number of posts : 137

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 6:35 am

i always used hay but gave it a good soaking before i gave it to her.seemes fine with it.

jo x
Back to top Go down
jo

Number of posts : 137

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2006 6:38 am

i always used hay but gave it a good soaking before i gave it to her.seemes fine with it.

jo x
Back to top Go down
horsenutter

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2006-11-09

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 9:34 am

I feed haylage because the stables where I keep my horse cut it them selves so I know exactly what is in it. It also seems to be al lot less dusty than hay as it's quite moist. Oh and I love the sweet smell it gives off though oh says I stink!! after touching it
Back to top Go down
Debs
Admin

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2006-11-01

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2006 2:32 pm

mmmmmm, i love the smell of heylage too, its gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
https://stabletalk.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Hay or haylage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hay or haylage   Hay or haylage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hay or haylage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stable Talk :: The Stables! :: Feeding and Nutrition-
Jump to: